AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD INDUSTRY WASTE MANAGEMENT
The aim of the course is to provide students with advanced knowledge in the field of agri-food waste management, particularly on waste treatment ways. The focal point of the course is based on the importance and role of waste management in the environment within the frame of the sustainable concept aspects, description and classification of by-products in agriculture and food industry sectors and possibilities of their reduction and eventually possible re-use. The focal point of the course is to provide a strong background in:
- Origin and type of agricultural and food industry waste, waste identification, classification and composition.
- Treatment and utilisation of agricultural and food industry waste. Impact of waste disposal on environment.
- Food Industry waste water treatments.
- Utilisation of waste in food industries based on the circular economy.
- Recommendations of alternative solutions based on the concept of sustainability in the field of agricultural and food industry waste management;
- Legal and statutory requirements (in EU and Bosnia and Herzegovina) for waste treatment.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Identify various waste from agricultural and food industries and evaluate its possible impact on the environment;
- Recommend various methods of waste treatment and disposal;
- Identify various by products from agricultural and food industry and ways to utilize them;
- Suggest different waste treatment and disposal methods;
- Design and develop a functional waste treatment plan to suit the requirements;
- Analyse and apply legal aspects related to agricultural and food waste disposal.